Thursday, February 21, 2008

Casual Listening Extra 2-22-08

Casual Listening

Extra!

February 22, 2008

Casual Listening snags 5 Grammys

Permit me a moment of self-congratulation. After scanning through the Grammy winners, I realized that in five categories, I had reviewed the winning album with a starred review or better. One of these was also album of the year, and if I do say so myself, Herbie Hancock was the most deserving winner of the night. I’d challenge you to find another critic as predictive in such a diverse array of categories. Here’s the list:

Best R&B Album: Funk This, Chaka Khan

Best Rap Album: Graduation, Kanye West

Best Bluegrass Album: The Bluegrass Diaries, Jim Lauderdale

Best Contemporary Jazz Album: River: The Joni Letters, Herbie Hancock

Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album: Washington Square Serenade, Steve Earle

Ray Davies – Working Man’s Cafe (rock) deluxe release, originally 12-07

A solid, interesting album from one of the original Kinks. Davies is a vivid lyricist, and these country-tinged rock songs tell stories of hard times in an age of globalization.

Time Again – Darker Days (rock)

Straight-up hardcore punk. Rock on.

No comments: